The following materials should be of assistance to researchers:
1909 – 2022 Proclamations
Proclamations made between 1909 and 2022
1909-2022 Secondary Legislation
- The indexes of Proclamations and Statutory Rules and Orders etc have been compiled from the Year Books to aid in research. They have no formal legal status.
- Whilst these indexes are believed to be substantially correct and accurate they should not be treated as definitive or being accurate.
- The indexes seek to list all Proclamations and secondary legislation.
- The indexes are categorised as follows:
a. Year – this should be taken as a reference to the Year Book in which the relevant instrument appears, or where such a Year Book was not produced the Year in which the instrument was published in the Gazette. In the main the secondary legislation was published chronologically – however this was not invariably the case.
b. Instrument – this is a reference to the nature or type of statutory instrument.
c. Number (‘No.’) The practice of numbering statutory instruments evolved over time. It only really became established from the 1940s onwards. Where instruments were numbered formally those numbers are used in the indexes. Informal numbers have been ascribed to instruments corresponding to the order in which they appeared in the relevant Year Book or Gazette.
d. Date – the date shown in the index typically corresponds with the date on which the Governor approved the relevant instrument. If no date was published, and in default of any other date self evidently being appropriate the 31 December in the relevant year has been chosen.
e. Title or purpose – where the instrument was given a short title that has been used, otherwise an appropriate informal description has been created.
1950-2004 Falkland Islands: Chronological Table of Ordinances
- This table was prepared and published for the Falkland Islands.
- It includes Ordinances that never applied in the Dependencies and laws that were enacted after South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands became a separate jurisdiction on 3 October 1985.
- It does not include Ordinances that were specifically enacted for the Dependencies in the period 1950-1985 and that did not have effect in the Falkland Islands.
- The table is useful in providing an indication as to whether:
a. Ordinances included in the 1951 Consolidation; and
b. Ordinances enacted in the period 1950-1985
that did apply in the Dependencies remained in force when South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands became a separate jurisdiction on 3 October 1985.
- The table is also useful in showing how in the period 1985-2004 the laws of South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands diverged from the Falkland Islands. That divergence has widened substantially since 2004.
The following materials were published in this consolidation in addition to the Ordinances:
- Volume 1 Contents;
- Volume 2 Contents;
- Revised Edition of the Laws Ordinance;
- Chronological Table of Ordinances;
- Ordinances in Force;
- Orders in Council;
- Letters Patent 1 September 1908;
- Letters Patent 14 June 1917;
- Letters Patent 13 December 1948;
- Royal Instructions 1948;
- Dependencies Ordinances s3 Notices;
- Addenda and Corrigenda;
- Application of Colony Laws Ordinance (Cap1 DS).
- Revised list of notifications under section 3 Dependencies Ordinances 1908 in the period 1909-1950;
- Chronological Table of Ordinances 1846-2022;